Update from US Chamber
Chamber Friends – Below is the weekly update of U.S. Chamber items published between December 5th and December 12th. As always, please feel free to share this material in your communications with your members.
- Remove Tariffs on Canada and Mexico – The American economy is booming. However, American businesses are being hurt by the costs of tariffs. Every week we wait, $500 million in U.S. exports and imports with Canada and Mexico are hit by unnecessary steel and aluminum tariffs. It’s time to end these tariffs and keep our economy moving forward. You can help us by sending a message to your elected officials to lift these counterproductive tariffs on our North American neighbors. Please take a moment to sign this letter, as well as share this link with your members so they can also send a message to Washington, D.C. The longer we wait, the more American business shoulders the cost.
- Association Health Plans Survey – Earlier this year, the U.S. Department of Labor finalized a new rule expanding the ability of chambers of commerce to offer Association Health Plans (AHPs), which allow small businesses to offer their employees the same type of coverage as larger companies. The U.S. Chamber is building an online directory to help businesses learn about these newly available AHPs. If your chamber is currently offering an AHP, please consider listing it in our directory. Click here to submit your information. For any questions regarding AHPs or the new online directory, please contact Katie Mahoney at email@example.com.
- Comment Period Open: Proposed Revised Definition of WOTUS – On December 11, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers released a proposed rulerevising the definition of “Waters of the United States” (WOTUS). This definition sets the scope of federal regulatory authority under the Clean Water Act. Stakeholders will have 60 days to comment on the proposal following publication in the Federal Register. Additional information, including a fact sheet and the economic analysis are available here.
- New Infographic Illustrates the Unnecessary Complexity of Pipeline Permitting by Matt Koch and Dan Byers – Tuesday, December 11, 2018
- Next Steps for North American Trade by THOMAS J. DONOHUE – Monday, December 10, 2018
- Quick Take: Your Primer on Brexit – and Why It Matters to U.S. Businesses by U.S. CHAMBER STAFF – Wednesday, December 12, 2018
- How a Banker-Turned-Entrepreneur Invented ‘Uber for Tractors’ by FREE ENTERPRISE STAFF – Tuesday, December 11, 2018
- A Whole New Kind of Power Plant MATT LETOURNEAU – Monday, December 10, 2018
- Small Businesses Continue to Be Optimistic, but Struggle to Find Workers by U.S. CHAMBER STAFF – Friday, December 7, 2018
- Ignoring the Price of Our Mistakes by J.D. FOSTER – Friday, December 7, 2018
- Loved Ones, Now Forever: Eterneva’s Cremation Diamonds Shine from the Ashes by JUSTIN MCCARTHY – Thursday, December 6, 2018
Recent U.S. Chamber Press Releases:
- Commercial Construction Looks to Advanced Technologies to Alleviate Workforce Challenges and Improve Productivity – Tuesday, December 11, 2018
- U.S. Chamber’s Harbert Praises New Water Rule – Tuesday, December 11, 2018
- RSM Survey Highlights Social Responsibility and Diversity & Inclusion in the Middle Market – Thursday, December 6, 2018